Clerk III - Health Information - #94694
Prairie Mountain Health
* Grade 12 education (MB Standards) or equivalent
* Completion of a recognized Medical Terminology course or program
* Recent experience in a patient reception/care area, specifically in registration of patients within an ADT system
* Demonstrated knowledge of electronic health records (EHR) applications applicable to a hospital setting including ADT, clinical information systems, and electronic document management specific to scanning, retrieval, and indexing of health information
* Proficiency with Microsoft programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint), as well as Internet applications and other Information Technology
* Above average understanding of privacy legislation including the Personal Health Information Act and the Mental Health Act, and regional policy and procedures related to confidentiality, use, and disclosure of personal health information
* Accurate keyboarding skills, with minimum 50 wpm
* Demonstrated knowledge and experience with health records management principles and processes
* Province of Manitoba Class 5 Drivers License, and access to a personal vehicle to provide service within Prairie Mountain Health
* Demonstrated organizational skills, and the ability to work independently
* Demonstrated problem solving and decision making skills
* Demonstrated flexibility to facilitate changes in techniques and procedures in a changing environment
* Demonstrated knowledge and competence of skills and concepts related to the position
* Demonstrated communication skills
* Ability to respect and promote confidentiality
* Ability to perform the duties of the position on a regular basis
* Ability to respect and promote a culturally diverse population
* Ability to work effectively and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, clients and within interdisciplinary team
Reporting to the Manager, Health Information Services, the Clerk III Health Information is responsible for the accurate and timely registration and associated processing on the admission/ discharge/ transfer (ADT) system while adhering to provincial and regional Registration Guidelines and practices, supports communication within and outside of the facility and performs record processing and management functions, including secure storage.
- Registration and associated processing on the admission/ discharge/ transfer (ADT) system, including registrations, admissions, transfers, and discharges, adhering to provincial and regional registration guidelines and practices.
- Collect complete and accurate demographic and financial data including provincial health coverage and/or related 3rd party insurance.
- Complete all necessary registration forms, as required (e.g. patient labels/identification bands, financial forms, consent forms, provincial forms, releases, etc.)
- Retrieve clinical health information, as required (e.g. Allergy & Alert record).
- Release information in accordance with the Personal Health Information Act and the Mental Health Act and regional policy.
- Accurately complete and process Birth Registrations in accordance with the Vital Statistics Act.
- Follow downtime procedures for registration of patients / maintenance of ADT Downtime system.
- Reconciliation of ADT reports (e.g. midnight census) for admissions/discharges/transfers as well as copying and distribution following outlined procedures.
- Coordinate completion and processing of Death Registrations in accordance with the Vital Statistics Act.
- Maintenance of Morgue documentation, as required.
- Inform funeral homes of release and completion of certificate of death, as required.
- Coordinate funeral home and transport agency access to Morgue, as required.
- Retrieve, document & lock up patient valuables, as required.
- Coordinate and process appropriate bed placement within ADT with facility bed management personnel (i.e. Utilization Coordinators, Care Team Managers/Supervisors or facility designates), as required.
- Direct clients to appropriate clinical or treatment areas.
- Locate and retrieve records required for provision of care.
- Retrieve and return records as required.
- Review health records for accuracy and completion, in a timely manner, in accordance with minimum documentation requirements.
- Confirm and ensure regional chart sequence.
- Adhere to regional record processing practices to prepare and scan patient/clinical reports.
- Adhere to regional record management practices and policy for record security, storage and control and for retention and destruction of personal health information.
- Investigate and reconcile double health record numbers and overlays.
- Reconcile system information and prepare reports on a monthly basis or as required (e.g. month-end financial reports, third party billing reports, Area or Provincial Standards reports, etc).
- Operate switchboard to relay incoming calls.
- Page physicians and staff using paging equipment as well as overhead paging.
- Assist staff and the general public in a kind and helpful manner.
- Attend to various alarms at the Switchboard and notify the responsible department, (e.g. Blood Bank, Pharmacy, all CODES).
- Quick, appropriate and immediate response to the “Emergency” phone, if applicable, following established protocols.
- Respond to the buzzers for the various doors throughout the facility, if applicable.
- Maintain control of the keys for the facility, as required.
- Respond to patient inquiries via telephone.
- Comply with Provincial Productivity Standards re: job performance.
- Other duties as assigned.