Customer Experience Coordinator - #104758
Mount Royal University
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 14,000 credit students choose from 12 bachelor degrees and 36 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut'ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is "Mohkinstsis," which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.About the Department of Cougars Athletics and Recreation
Mount Royal University Cougars Athletics and Recreation takes an inclusive, student-centered approach in offering groups and individuals opportunities to bolster their health and wellness through a wide range of programming and activities ranging from beginner sports enthusiast to our eight Cougars varsity athletic programs.About the Role
The Customer Experience Coordinator is a member of the Recreation team of Cougars Athletics and Recreation which actively creates, promotes and sustains an environment in which the Mount Royal University community is challenged and supported in pursuit of personal growth in the areas of Athletics and Recreation.
Reporting to the Fitness and Customer Experience Supervisor, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring that all members of the MRU community receive reliable and responsive service in person, over the telephone, via email and online. The coordinator oversees the operations of the MRU Recreation Customer Service Centre including opening and closing, access control, staffing, scheduling, technology systems and member services. The Customer Service Centre is the central hub for the Recreation Centre and is a high-paced environment with more than 2,000 student, employee, and public entries per day during peak times through the academic year.POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Customer Service Centre Operations (70%)
- Describe and enforce departmental and institutional policies and procedures specific to operations of the Recreation Centre and explain the rationale behind policies and procedures to customers and casual employees.
- Facilitate execution of daily operations such as opening/closing the Recreation Centre, facility checks, equipment lending, POS item inventory, towel service, and facility access control.
- Support and troubleshoot Customer Service Centre technology systems (e.g., access gate, recreation management platform, POS devices, PCI terminals, card printer, online registration platform, and employee workstations.)
- Develop Customer Service Centre staffing schedules taking into consideration institutional policies, MRSA collective agreement, employment standards, holidays and special events.
- Maximize customer experience by applying departmental service standards (reliability, responsiveness, and relationships) to areas of responsibility in-person, over the phone, and via email.
- Articulate the departmental service standards in behavioural terms so casual employees can demonstrate the service standards through actions.
- Assist in the creation of guidelines and procedures for responses to customer service-related matters.
- Establish and promote a climate of openness and approachability when resolving highly sensitive and complex issues.
- Troubleshoot and problem-solve when technology doesn’t work properly.
- Assist in conducting interviews and justifying hiring decisions for Customer Service Centre positions.
- Implement training for casual employees to comply with departmental, institutional, and provincial requirements.
- Conduct team building and training activities for casual employees that are appropriate for their position.
- Lead and/or facilitate effective training sessions.
- Model, encourage, and promote community by reinforcing the values of the department and institution.
- Provide coaching to individual casual employees who may need improvement to meet the expectations of their position.
Member Services (25%)
- Coordinate the day to day and on-going functions of locker membership management including: managing inventory, cleaning/clear outs, renewal periods and managing waitlists.
- Administer the daily and on-going functions of member services including: facility tours, membership package sales, membership holds and cancellations, and membership reports.
- Coordinate member retention strategies and initiatives.
- Facilitate a culture which resolves concerns and closes the feedback loop in a timely fashion.
- Assist with the creation of area budgets including revenue and expense forecasts.
Departmental, Divisional and Institutional Service and Planning (5%)
- Support the development of innovative collaborative partnerships to advance the departmental, divisional and institutional strategic reach.
- Collaborate with others across campus to further equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Advance and serve on department committees.
- Passion and energy for inspiring people to move so that they can be the best version of themselves.
- Understanding of one’s own identity and learning from the identity of others to interact respectfully and include others of varying backgrounds.
- Previous work experience 2 - 3 years in customer service environment with supervisory experience.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and work as a member of the team.
- Service-oriented and capable of dealing with a wide variety of customers.
- Proficiency coordinating and scheduling a casual employee base.
- Experience training, supervising and leading casual/student staff.
- Ability to connect with university students through coaching and or mentoring roles.
- High degree of familiarity with fitness and recreation operations, programs and services is necessary.
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated innovation, creativity and informed risk taking.
- Proficiency in computer software applications, including all Google suite applications, and experience with Recreation software (ActiveNet, Innosoft Fusion, CLASS, etc).
- Demonstrated knowledge of theories and practices in promoting student development and learning.
- Standard First Aid & Basic Rescuer CPR.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in physical literacy, recreation, physical education, sport management, or related field.
- Relevant experience in a comparable university or similar recreation setting.
- Demonstrated experience in leading a diverse team.
- Experience with ActiveNet or similar recreation registration and facility management software.
- Membership and active involvement in relevant professional organizations such as ARPA, NIRSA, AFLCA and/or other higher education associations
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Our campus offers the convenience of a medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, fitness classes, climbing, aquatics, sports, tournaments and certifications for students, employees and the public.
Salary: $49,774 - $63,004 per anum (Subject to retroactive increase based on Gain Sharing Conditions as per the Government of Alberta)
Closing Date: February 21, 2024
A cover letter and resume should be submitted in one .pdf document. Please title your .pdf document as follows: [Last Name], [Requisition Number], [Document Title].pdf (ex. Smith, 999999, CV.pdf).