Dining Room Server - #94956
Dining Room Server – Casual, On-Call
M’akola Housing Society
Langford, BC – Jesken Aerie
M’akola Housing Society (MHS) is an Indigenous affordable housing provider committed to supporting vibrant, diverse communities in British Columbia. We strive to create a welcoming and supportive environment where all team members take personal accountability for their work, have a passion for excellence, and are encouraged to achieve their full potential. Jesken Aerie is an assisted living facility, where we provide recreation, meals, and a variety of services and supports to the Indigenous Elders, seniors, and people with disabilities residing in the facility.
The casual Dining Room Server will report to the Assisted Living Manager and support the dining room area while providing a warm and friendly environment for all residents, guests, and employees. The casual Dining Room Server will be responsible for a wide range of tasks, such as closely following health and safety guidelines, serving residents two meals per day, setting up and cleaning the dining room area, and other related tasks. The successful candidate will be willing to cross train in the assisted living facility’s other departments, such as the Kitchen Assistant and Housekeeping. Due to the residents supported in the assisted living facility, the successful candidate must have their preliminary vaccines for COVID-19.
The position is compensated at $23.11 per hour. Shifts available are 7 days per week from 10:15 am – 6:15 pm and 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. The shifts you will be called for depend on the needs of the facility and your availability.
- Follow all health and safety guidelines – task list provided;
- Serve two meals per day, lunch and dinner, providing professional and friendly service;
- Setting up, cleaning, sanitizing dining room tables, chairs, plexiglass shields – task list provided;
- Maintaining an awareness of resident’s food allergies, modifications, and specialty diets including any physical disabilities;
- Administering First Aid to Residents, guests, and staff;
- Ensuring compliance with all Food Safe guidelines in the handling and storage of all food supplies;
- Maintain resident and staff confidentiality; and
- Perform other related duties as required.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in and with Indigenous communities would be an asset
- Strong time management, multi-tasking, and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to display tact, respect, and diplomacy
- Ability to take direction and follow procedures
- Knowledge to respond effectively and calmly in crisis situations
- Capable of being socially sensitive to Indigenous issues and concerns
- Good conflict resolution skills and the ability to demonstrate patience and tolerance
- Knowledge of an Assisted Living environment would be an asset
- Ability to work independently, yet contribute and co-operate in a team environment
- Good working knowledge of computer applications including MS Word, Excel, and Outlook, and ability to manoeuvre between applications with ease for Front Desk
- Ability to meet physical requirements including lifting/bending/repetitive tasks
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Courses or training in customer service, office systems, and procedures
- 1-2 years of experience working in a high-volume office environment, preferably in a congregate/assisted living setting
- Clear Criminal Record Check
- Certifications paid for by M’akola:
- Occupational Level 1 first aid certificate
- Food Safe 1
- Be vaccinated against COVID-19 or willing to get vaccinated before start date
Come visit us! M'akola also accepts in-person applications. Please visit our Assisted Living facility near you with your resume and let us know what position you would like to apply to!
We accept all self-identifying Indigenous employees including status, non-status, Metis, and Inuit pursuant to Section 42 of the BC Human Rights Code. If you have any questions regarding this position or applying for the position, or if you need any accommodation for applying to this posting, please call us at 778-402-9263 or email us at: **************@makola.bc.ca. We want to support all applicants during this process.
Preference will be given to applicants of Indigenous ancestry (please self-identify) as per Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code.
Please submit your resume to: LINK
Closing Date: Until Filled
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
For statistical purposes please indicate where you saw this job posting i.e. job site, email etc.