Instructor Deaf Culture and Community - #94793
Vancouver Community College
We acknowledge that Vancouver Community College (VCC) is located on the traditional unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples who have been stewards of this land from time immemorial.
For over 55 years, VCC has been a leader in innovative, experiential post-secondary learning. We’re one of B.C’s top employers and we are proud to inspire students to discover their passions, gain essential skills, and learn what it takes to succeed in a competitive workforce.
At VCC, we respect and celebrate our differences, and are committed to the work of decolonization, accessibility, and inclusivity for all. Be a part of creating an inclusive community that provides equitable opportunities for Indigenous and diverse representation, participation, and success for everyone.
We value lived experience and encourage applications from members of all groups experiencing barriers to equity. Come join the VCC community as we shape the future together.
This position is responsible for teaching students in an assigned field of study using a diverse set of instruction methods and tools. The position develops curriculum, prepares teaching materials, provides assessments of students’ progress. It ensures the proper stewardship of college facilities, equipment and other inventories. The position is also responsible for upholding the College’s policies and procedures and for participating in meetings and events and on committees.
1. Teaches students using a diverse and systematic plan of lectures,presentations, demonstrations, discussion groups, laboratory work, shop sessions, seminars, case studies, field assignments and independent or group projects.
2. Develops curr iculum and prepares teaching materials and outlines for courses including audio visual and web-related materials where appropriate.
3. Prepares, a dministers and marks papers, tests, exams and other assessments to monitor and evaluate students’ progress. Provides detailed feedback on student performance.
4. Assists and provides support to students and potential students by advising on program curricula and career decisions.
5. Provides individualized or group tutorial or remedi al instruction to students who require it.
6. Maintains effective ste wardship of classroom facilities, equipment, materials, software and tools.
7. Arranges for and supervises independent or group projects, field placements, laboratory work or hands-on training.
8. Adheres to VCC policies and procedures including being available to students and maintaining confidentiality of student information.
9. Participates in departmental and college meetings and events. Consults with other College departments and may serve on committees concerning matters such as budgets, curriculum revision, and course and certificate or diploma requirements.
10. Performs other related duties as required.
Area Hiring Criteria
· Completion of Bachelor’s Degree or equivalency of training and experience
· Provincial Instructor Diploma (BC) or equivalent
· Possess ASL Proficiency Index of 4 or better.
· Ability to be able to deliver instruction within the subject areas.
· Academic skills/qualifications in the areas of expertise being delivered (as required within the program content):
· Advanced study in the culture and community of the Deaf, including Deaf Literature
· Have adequate knowledge of social structure of Canadian Deaf communities
· Advanced knowledge of Canadian accessibility legislation as it applies to Deaf community
· Minimum of four (4) years related work experience, including teaching to hearing adults.
· Dynamic public presentation skills in ASL
· Active participation in the organizations within the Deaf Community.
· Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with staff and students