NWT Construction | Labourer - #104847
Subsidiary: Colas Western Canada Inc.
135 Kam Lake Road, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2R2 Telephone: (867) 920-4844
NWT Construction Ltd., a division of NPA Ltd. is one of Western Canada’s largest paving contractors, with over 700 employees helping us provide our products and services throughout Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Northwest Territories. Our equipment fleet and shops are among the most modern in our business. We take pride in our employees and place a high-value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day.
Are you an enthusiastic person looking for an exciting new challenge? NWT Construction is now hiring for Labourers for the upcoming 2024 Construction Season!
The Labourer is responsible for providing physical labour support during all phases of construction and production. The Labourer provides a range of support in areas such as moving materials, clearing landscape, job site preparation, shoveling, raking and basic equipment operation.
- Load, unload and move construction materials around the worksite
- Manually remove large rocks and debris turned up by heavy equipment, ensuring all revealed rocks and debris are clear before equipment makes further passes.
- Carry out traffic control plans by placing, removing, covering, and uncovering traffic control signed, cones, barricades and other traffic control devices. Directing traffic when necessary.
- Signal operators of construction equipment to facilitate aligned and movement of materials.
- Assist in the installation of culverts to drain water and use generator and pump to remove rainwater from ditches on the job site.
- Use a rake or shovel, spread gravel and other construction materials over road surfaces, building or decreasing slopes or leveling asphalt to grade specifications.
- Shovel test holes by locating markers/flags and quarantine any exposed pipes. Mark test holes with stakes, paint, or ribbon.
- Ensure worksite is organized and free of clutter, rubble, and garbage.
- Shovel asphalt mix into areas inaccessible to paving machines, and compact mix using rakes and hand tampers
- Operate equipment, such as pneumatic hammers, vibrators, tampers, and skid steer when needed.
- Must ensure a solid understanding of and comply with the principles of the company's Code of Ethics.
- Must examine situations in light of the principles of the Code of Ethics.
- Other General Labour and construction related duties as required.
Qualifications | Requirements
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred
- Class 5 Drivers License preferred
- Communication and Time Management Skills
- Sense of urgency to meet deadlines
- Schedule of 6 working days, 1 day off with up to 12 hours per day (weather dependent). Overtime is paid in accordance with applicable employment standards legislation.
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting, which could include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust and asphalt.
- Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 50 LBS on a regular basis.
- Use of Personal Protection Equipment is required.
- Use of sunscreen, long sleeves, and appropriate headgear is recommended.
- Must comply with the company's drug and alcohol testing requirements.
What's In It For You?
We are pleased to offer the successful candidate an attractive wage, extended health benefits, company matching RRSP plan, educational assistance, excellent opportunities for professional growth and more!
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity you would enjoy, hit the apply now button below!
NWT Construction Ltd. is pleased to offer the successful candidate an attractive wage, comprehensive benefits, including a pension plan, educational assistance, excellent opportunities for professional growth, and more.
We thank all candidates for their interest in a position with NWT Construction Ltd., however only candidates selected to move forward will be contacted.