Production Manager - Mississauga, ON - #94688
CRH Canada - Cement ON
Job ID: 484298
Ash Grove Cement, a CRH company, provides Portland and masonry cements to help build the foundation and infrastructure for the world around us. We ship millions of tons of cement from our plants and network of terminals located across North America. When you work for Ash Grove, you are connecting to something bigger. We stand together to reinvent the way our world is built. Join our team and help Ash Grove build America.
At Ash Grove Cement, people are our first priority. We offer a complete benefits package to include:
- Dental Insurance Vision Insurance
- Pension Plan
- Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Disability Pay
- Life Insurance
- Growth Opportunities and more!
What you’ll be contributing:
Reporting to the Plant Manager, the Production Manager is responsible for managing the production of cement, clinker, and lime stone at an optimum level with lowest cost and with the cooperation and support of other departments, such as, Laboratory, Maintenance, Human Resources, Engineering, Environment, Accounting, Marketing and Sales, etc. The production targets shall be attained based on advance planning and forecasting by complying with safety, environment and quality standards.
Health and Safety:
- To ensure that the plant is operated in a safe and efficient manner by following health and safety policy with required participation in the plant safety committee meetings
- Participate in the Joint Health and Safety (JH&S) Meetings
- To ensure that all employees understand and comply with plant rules, policies and standards and ensure compliance with all regulatory standards
- As an ISO management system owner, the Production Manager is to identify and communicate the requirements of ISO 14001 standards, objectives and procedures to the business unit’s Environment Team.
- To co-chair, along with the Maintenance Manager and Environment Manager, the business unit’s Environment Team and to maintain and implement operating procedures relating to significant environmental requirements
- To update environmental orientation programs and ensure that the Production team identifies and prevents non-conformances to environmental standards.
- Co-chair, along with Chief Chemist, the business unit’s Quality Team
- Manage production within the established quality standards of ISO 9001
- As a management system owner of ISO 9001, to identify and communicate the requirement of ISO 9001 standards, objectives and procedures to the business unit’s Quality Team
- Keep the Management informed with the information resulting from quality management review and results of MS Audits
- Update quality orientation programs and ensure that the Production Team identifies and prevents non-conformances to quality standards.
- Participate in the selection of equipment, plant layout, and material handling
- Monitor major equipment and material flows for efficient operation, and recommend changes to the process, if so required, in the interest of maintaining efficiency
- Assess and recommend purchase of raw materials, additives, fuels and other, and maintain smooth, accurate and efficient inventory system
- Implement the collective agreement at the plant level
- Ensure implementation of Plant Master Training Plan and Skill Inventory is updated according to the procedures and indexes
- Prepare and maintain various reports on the progress of work, materials used, rates of production and other production information, using manual or computerized systems
- Oversee the activities of the Production Supervisors with respect to production volume, cost and quality of product, production schedules and delivery dates.
- Assist supervisors in the assignment of personnel according to production needs and according to each individual’s abilities and talents.
- Supervises the Quarry Superintendent in charge of all the activities at the Ogden Point Quarry (Production and Maintenance)
- Supervises the Plant Terminal Manager in charge of the Production activities regarding bagging, bulk loading (trucks, rail cars, boats), shipping and receiving of raw materials as well as plant finished products.
- Supervises the Production Process Superintendent in charge of all improvements to plant production processes, as well as the IPT team
- Supervises the Production Analyst in charge of all reporting regarding production department
Budget and Cost Control
- Prepare and monitor the departmental budget and operate within these parameters
- Maintain a constant search in cement industry for more economical operating methods
- Supervise the utilization of personnel and control direct labour cost and expenditure
- Utilize appropriate techniques for inventory control and Production Plan/Schedule to optimize costs and efficiencies
- Monitor and report variances from budgeted plans, if any
- Control and review of production cost and implement corrective measures including monitoring and approving invoices for electrical power supply to ensure proper utilization of equipment and machinery
- Develop production plans and departmental schedules establishing sequence and timeframe of manufacturing operations in order to meet production requirements in a proficient, cost effective and timely manner
- Participate in the development of annual budgets and forecasts for production areas
- Coordinate with the Maintenance Department regarding the timing of equipment shutdowns and preventive maintenance programs
- Liaise with Marketing and other concerned departments in demand forecasting, production planning, production scheduling, and ordering of material, etc.
- Coordinate the work of all contracting personnel performing work relating to production department
- Ensure employee communications meetings are regularly conducted in order for all production workers to be kept informed of business activities, goals, objectives and current performance
- Maintain liaison with HR Department for the purpose of implementation of appropriate policy on manpower planning, training and development, deployment of manpower, etc.
- Perform such duties and responsibilities as assigned by the General Manager
You Will Need:
- Engineering Degree; Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) or certified as a technologist (CET or AScT) by provincial/territorial professional association.
- Substantial experience of ten to twelve years in a managerial position within a manufacturing operation, preferably in a cement plant or related industry.
- Ensure the achievement of business goals aligned with the corporate objectives through managing execution of business plans.
- Champion new ideas and initiatives and create an environment that supports change and innovation.
- Effectively examine issues and generate solutions in a timely manner
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ensure and/or contribute to the development of team members in order to meet current and future organizational goals.
- Fosters a sense of collaboration and work effectively across the organization to achieve goals.
- Proficient computer skills, including email and applications such as SAP and Excel.
- Root-Cause Analysis Skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This position may require some lifting of objects no heavier than twenty pounds (20lbs.)
- This is sedentary in nature but may require occasional periods of standing and walking
- Work to be performed in a shop environment as well as outdoor exposure throughout the plant. Mild exposure to cement dust, heat, cold, and noise requires compliance with specified safety guidelines and procedures. Exposure to high elevations of up to 250 feet in height. Exposure to all weather conditions. Normal operation of mobile equipment may result in jarring and vibratory exposure.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What CRH Offers You
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
- A diverse and inclusive culture that values opportunity for growth, development, and internal promotion
CRH has a long and proud heritage. We are a collection of hundreds of family businesses, regional companies and large enterprises that together form the CRH family. CRH operates in a decentralized, diversified structure that allows you to work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of large international organization.
If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Once you click apply now, you will be brought to our official employment application. Please complete your online profile and it will be sent to the hiring manager. Our system allows you to view and track your status 24 hours a day. Thank you for your interest!
Ash Grove Cement, a CRH Company, is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability-If you want to know more, please click on this link.