Relief Support Assistant - #94973
Government of the Northwest Territories
The Relief Support Assistant position is located on the K'atlodeche First Nation Reserve. The successful incumbent will be responsible for assisting with instruction, providing the support and encouragement to students diagnosed with special needs and/or who require additional attention in order to ensure all students have the opportunity for a successful and meaningful learning experience. At the discretion of the Principal, the Relief Support Assistant reports to the Principal, Program Support Teacher and/or Classroom Teachers.
The Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required for thsi position are:
- Ability to provide instruction in core academic subjects (reading, writing, mathematics) to special needs/additional needs students in a wide range of grade levels.
- The ability to work with students with special needs.
- The basic understanding of teaching, instruction and classroom management technique.
- The ability to work in a multi-cultural setting with young people, staff and parents.
- Analytical, planning, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Effective verbal, written and listening communications skills.
- The knowledge of conflict management and resolution skills.
- The ability to write and maintain accurate student records.
- The ability to be dependable, self-motivated, demonstrate sound work ethics and act as a role model for students
The above knowledge, skills and abilities are normally attained by:
- The incumbent would normally acquire the required knowledge and skills through completion of Grade 12 combined with related training in working with special needs students and experience in an educational environment.