Senior Director, Specialty Pharmacy and Distribution - #104640
Shoppers Drug Mart
Referred applicants must not apply directly to this role. All referred applicants must use their unique referral link generated when they are referred by an existing colleague.
Location:1685 Tech Ave, Mississauga, Ontario, L4W 0A7
At Shoppers Drug Mart, we’re innovating health and wellness in Canada. From prescriptions to walk-in clinics, and a beloved loyalty program, we’re caring and supporting our customers in new ways every day.
With more than 1,300 locally owned and operated stores from coast to coast, the Shoppers Drug Mart network is more than a great place to shop, it’s a great place to work. We’re committed to building our talented team who champion collaboration, kindness and inclusivity. Join our team, and help recognize a healthy future for your career and for all Canadians.
Why this role is important?
Senior Director, Specialty Pharmacy and Distribution, Specialty Health Network
Shoppers Drug Mart Specialty Health Network (SHN) supports Shoppers Drug Mart (SDM) and Loblaw Companies Limited (LCL) retail pharmacy locations to provide the best patient care to patients who require specialty drugs. We deliver patient support programs for specialty drug therapies, providing physicians with resources to manage their patients, facilitating reimbursement, training/support and enhancing patient compliance. We deliver superior customer service to patients, healthcare providers and pharmaceutical manufacturers to improve healthcare outcomes for all stakeholders.
Reporting to the Vice President, Specialty Health Network, the Senior Director, Specialty Pharmacy and Distribution leads teams focusing on:
- Operational excellence at the SHN and SDM closed door specialty pharmacies,
- Distribution excellence of Specialty Medications through both the SDM Network and out of network pharmacies
- Delivering exceptional support to all of the SDM and LCL Network pharmacies that are supporting specialty patients
- Optimizing our reimbursement excellence across all PSP and Specialty Pharmacy programs
The Senior Director is highly accountable for actions that lead to targeted business outcomes. The Senior Director oversees all activities related to assigned operating sites or program teams and the Specialty customers they serve, ensuring contracted service levels are achieved and customer expectations are consistently met/exceeded.
The Senior Director is a member of the SHN Leadership team and works collaboratively with SDM Pharmacy Operations and SHN Retail Specialty Excellence, Project and Program Management teams to align governance, communications, work processes, tools and practices, to ensure the highest standards of patient care and customer service. Through cross-functional collaboration with SHN and enterprise teams, the Senior Director facilitates organizational synergies and secures resources to support achievement of the enterprise Specialty operating plan.
The Senior Director provides leadership, development, and direction to diverse teams, including the SHN pharmacy teams, the distribution teams and Managers, Specialty Pharmacy, at SDMSHN Pharmacy locations. The Senior Director also leads the SHN Retail Specialty Support team responsible for supporting SDM Associates and LCL Pharmacy Managers nationally as they care for patients in their communities.
This position is also responsible for liaising with targeted clients and partners, including preferred pharmacy networks, Patient Support Program providers, Pharma manufacturers, and HCP’s/KOL’s, to expand commercial opportunities and exceed partner expectations for Specialty Program performance at store level.
This role is based at the Shoppers Drug Mart Specialty Health Network office located in Mississauga and requires travel to pharmacy sites nationally.
What you will do:
- As an active member of the SHN Senior Leadership team, plays a key role in the development of business strategy and implementation of the Strategic Vision for SHN.
- Champions the company’s Vision, Mission and Values as set out in the Strategic Plan.
- Establishes and manages to short and long-term departmental objectives, policies, operating procedures, annual budgets and financial forecasts.
- Manages KPIs and maintains a Continuous Improvement plan to meet and exceed specified objectives.
- Fosters high colleague engagement and a ground-up culture of accountability, collaboration and continuous improvement.
- Ensures governance and quality of pharmaceutical care oversight in accordance with legal, regulatory and professional standards and in keeping with the values of the company.
- Ensures compliance with all company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Required Operational Procedures (ROPs) and timely Reporting of all Adverse Events (AE) and Product Technical Complaints (PTC) as per current policies and procedures.
- Ensures high customer satisfaction levels are achieved and sustained for new and current accounts, consistent with contracted service levels, timelines, and budgets; provides stakeholder feedback and continuous improvement recommendations.
- Leads SHN Specialty Pharmacies and Distribution team to deliver pharmaceutical and clinical services safely, accurately and on time, including professional staff (nurses, pharmacists, and registered techs)
- Leads Retail Specialty Support (RSS) team in managing specialty program operations in the SDM and LCL retail network, through the specialty support call centre. Support to Pharmacy teams includes reimbursement troubleshooting, inventory management and operational guidance.
- Leads Reimbursement and Virtual Card Services team, providing insights to our client partners and developing an innovative and cost-effective virtual card strategy.
- Works cross functionally with SHN and SDM teams to define service levels and develop and implement new approaches and processes to better service specialty patients.
- Identifies opportunities to synergize, integrate and coordinate SDM and SHN operating activities.
- Seeks out new business opportunities that support the network and growth of the Specialty business and establishes/maintains relationships with key KOLs.
- Manages pharmacy and Distribution resources and labour to cost and productivity targets.
- Identifies, manages and tracks team training, scorecard and communications activities, aligned with Enterprise operational priorities and activities.
- Supervises disaster recovery and operational contingency plans.
- Determines and manages the succession planning for the Specialty Retail and Distribution Operations Team, including the identification of future talent and provision of necessary training and business exposure.
- Oversees workloads and provides staff supervision to ensure that work is done accurately, efficiently and complies with policies, procedures and standards as well as best working practices.
- Provides guidance, motivation, and performance review; including hiring and terminating employees, IDP’s to maintain and enhance competency levels.
- Attends various meeting, conferences, seminars etc. with professional, regulatory, special interest, vendor and charitable groups to represent the corporation to outside stake holders.
- Provides guidance to team members on building strong relationships with the colleagues, Associates/Pharmacy Managers and their teams by reinforcing and expecting use of CORE values and Blue Culture
- Partners with the business on strategic projects as required
What you will need:
- University undergraduate degree in Pharmacy
- Business degree/ knowledge of business administration is an asset
- 5-10 years’ experience in healthcare or operational leadership roles, preferably in Pharmacy Operations
- Previous clinical, pharmacy or business experience with Specialty Pharmaceuticals
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry would be an asset - drug handling process, systems and services, various provincial reimbursement programs and formulary processes
- Experience with patient support programs would be a definite asset as would experience with retail specialty services and/or operations
- Proven track record of delivering results and exceeding customer expectations
- Proven ability to manage a complex business, develop growth strategies and make timely and effective decisions in a rapidly evolving market
- Leadership presence, with confidence to engage and influence cross-functional and executive leadership
- Proven ability to lead, coach, train and mentor others
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse operational and cross-functional teams
- Excellent problem-solving skills, conflict resolution and negotiating skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills, and ability to make connections at all levels of the organization
- Excellent influencing, planning and project management skills
- Self-motivated and resilient, with a positive attitude and high energy level
- Bilingualism (English, French) would be an asset
- Flexibility to travel (approximately 10%)
Why work at Shoppers Drug Mart?
Acting as consultants, supporting internal customers and the Associate-Owners, you will get experience unique to the retail industry while working for an award-winning national brand. Benefit from a purchase discount program, competitive pay and online learning through Academy.
Take ownership of your work and find more ways to care about your work, co-workers, customers and community.
How You’ll Succeed:
At Shoppers Drug Mart Inc., we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections.
If that sounds like you, and you are open-minded, responsive to change and up to the challenges provided in a fast-paced retail environment, apply today.
Employment Type:Full time
Type of Role:Regular
Shoppers Drug Mart Inc. recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct - it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.
Please Note: If you have Employee Self Service (ESS) on Workday, apply to this job via the Workday application.