Sports Information & Media Coordinator - #94716
George Brown College
CLOSING: November 24, 2023
George Brown College is located on the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and other Indigenous peoples who have lived here over time. We are grateful to share this land as treaty people who learn, work, and live in the community with each other.
George Brown College is committed to creating and sustaining an equitable and inclusive learning and working environment. We encourage and actively seek applications from Indigenous, Black, racialized people, visible minorities, 2SLGBTQIA+ persons, all genders, and persons with disabilities.
To be a college renowned for its inclusion, excellence, relevance, impact, and leadership.
The Sports Information & Media Coordinator is responsible for developing and overseeing varsity athletics and campus recreation news and sharing this sports information with the student body and public over various digital platforms. This includes but is not limited to news items, statistics, records, and team, player and/or event notes for the college’s varsity sports team and campus recreation programs.
- Creates new content, edits, and updates the Athletics & Recreation website daily with varsity sports news (scores, standings, game recaps, rosters, etc.).and campus recreation news (program offerings, registration deadlines, special event notices, healthy active lifestyle content, etc.).
- Responsible for web streaming of intercollegiate games and reporting statistics, scores, and video content to the Ontario Colleges Athletic Association (OCAA) as required.
- Responsible for the digital information sharing and online promotions of the Athletics & Recreation Department, including updating and maintaining engaging and timely varsity sports and campus recreation content on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other Athletics & Recreation social media tools.
- Prepares submissions to provincial and national organizations in support of student-athlete and/or coach award nominations.
- Represents George Brown College on the OCAA Marketing list serve.
- Acts as an Athletics Department representative to the Student Success Communications Committee (or similar), including attending planning meetings and working jointly with other Student Success communications/marketing members to ensure effective leverage of cross-departmental resources.
- Assists with the development and delivery of the annual department Marketing/Promotions Plan to promote and support varsity athletics and campus recreation activities planned for the health and wellness of the student body and College Community.
- Participates in the creation of annual budgets with ongoing monitoring and budgetary compliance.
- Assists in creating, administering, monitoring, and assessing surveys/customer feedback tools.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Educational and Experience Requirements:
- Three-year diploma/degree or equivalent from a recognized post-secondary institution in Sports Administration/Sports Management or Business Administration Marketing.
- First Aid/CPR certification is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in sports journalism, sports administration, or sports marketing field.
- Knowledge and involvement in computer and web content management systems, sports writing, developing content for media releases and expertise producing a broad range of print and electronic material.
- Solid knowledge of Adobe Suites, Drupal, Presto and WordPress software.
- Social media and photography experience with ability to extract and enhance photos.
Skills and Attributes:
- Advanced communication, networking, and outreach skills; with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across diverse programs and campuses, developing effective professional relationships and strategic partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Successful teamwork experience. Must have a positive and collaborative mindset and be able to assess team challenges quickly, applying problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team. High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent organizational, planning, coordinating and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to travel between campus and for off campus competitions.
- Able to lift between 20 kg or 44 lbs (ex. sports media equipment, boxes of supplies, etc.).
- Demonstrated commitment to uphold the College’s priorities on diversity and equity.
Hours of Work: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm (on non-varsity game days); 3:00 pm – 11:00 pm on game days (September – February only).
Note: Hours of work will vary on varsity game days.
Interview process may consist of a practical skills component.
- The College requires proof of degrees, credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post-secondary institutions and/or their international equivalents. Credentials may require validation at the time of interviews or offer.
- First consideration will be provided to internal candidates in accordance with our Support Staff Collective Agreement.
- GBC employees, please use https://adfs.georgebrown.ca/adfs/ls/IdpInitiatedSignOn.aspx to apply via our internal site using your GBC credentials for consideration prior to the internal closing date.
George Brown College prides itself on educating students through real-world learning, in the heart of Toronto. Our faculty and employees make this vision a reality, and we support them by making George Brown a great place to work. See why we are consistently ranked as one of GTA’s top employers.
Why work here?
George Brown College offers hybrid work opportunities, a competitive pension plan, generous holiday and vacation time, a tuition assistance program, discounted rates for employees taking Continuing Education courses, and an equitable work environment where everyone matters.
George Brown College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Candidates who require accommodation in the hiring process may contact [email protected] confidentially.