STO-RE 21R - Wildfire Technician - #104852
BC Public Service
Salary Range $67,728.87 - $77,012.22 annually Close Date 2/26/2024 Job Type Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization BC Public Service -> Ministry of Forests Ministry Branch / Division BC Wildfire Service/Southeast Fire Centre Job Summary
Make a difference in this rewarding career opportunity
The BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) is the Province of BC’s primary emergency response organization. It operates year-round to deliver its mandate for wildfire management and response to natural hazard emergencies. The BCWS operates provincially, delivering services through six fire centres, thirty-three zones and two provincial centres in Kamloops and Victoria.
This position is responsible for performing a core set of functions related to fire response and fire management.
Explore the opportunities and value working with our team can offer you: Why Work for the Ministry of Forests.
Education and Experience:
- Degree in a field related to forestry, resource management plus one (1) year related experience; OR,
- Technical diploma in a field related to forestry, resource management pus three (3) years related experience*; OR,
- Grade 12 plus five (5) years related experience*; OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered; AND,
- Minimum two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Valid class 5 driver license.
- Related experience is defined as emergency response experience in natural resources in or a similar field.
Preference may be given to candidates with:
- Incident Commander 4 certification or higher.
- Valid class 5 B.C. driver licence or equivalent.
- To be flexible regarding ongoing changes in responsibilities, assignments and corporate structures.
- To keep current on emerging issues.
- To take in-house training and certification as required.
- To fly in aircraft (fixed wing and rotary) as required.
- To work extended hours, including weekends, and be on standby with limited notice in accordance with the preparedness plan.
- To travel and overnight in remote locations where accommodations may vary as required.
- To participate in Incident Command System positions as assigned.
- To work under adverse or stressful conditions, including smoke, extreme heat and mountainous terrain in remote and isolated conditions.
- To obtain and maintain certification and training for position to meet operational requirements.
For questions regarding this position, please contact [email protected].
About this Position:
This position has full time on-site requirements.
An eligibility list may be established to fill future permanent vacancies.
Employees of the BC Public Service must be located in BC at the time of employment.
Working for the BC Public Service:
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service is available to applicants that self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, status or non-status, Métis, or Inuit) seeking work or already employed in the BC Public Service. For guidance on applying and interviewing, please contact [email protected] or 778-405-3452.
This is your opportunity to live in one of the most beautiful regions in British Columbia and work for the BC Public Service. We offer a healthy work/life balance, excellent benefits and much more.
How to Apply:
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the job requirements listed above.
Cover Letter: NO - Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume: YES - A resume is required as part of your application, however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) - You will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and how you obtained your relevant experience. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
Helpful tips, videos and more regarding the application process can be found on the Your Job Application page of MyHR. If you are experiencing technical difficulty applying, e-mail [email protected], before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located at the bottom of the posting.
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.