Sushi Chef - #94904
Goro + Gun
Goro + Gun is looking for an experienced Sushi Chef to fill out their team on a full-time or part-time permanent basis. The sushi chef is responsible for several functions including, but not limited to, preparing and fileting raw fish for nigiri and sashimi, preparing sushi rice, vegetables and other ingredients for sushi rolls, inventory control, and expert time management. If you enjoy a creative, fast-paced work environment, and love working in a team environment, this is the job for you.
When it reached theatres, the Japanese film Tampopo (1985) was marketed as the world’s first “ramen western”. It’s the story of two truck drivers, Goro + Gun, who use their culinary expertise to change the fate of a struggling noodle shop. The passion those two characters showed for the art of noodle-making lives on at Calgary’s spacious 200-seat noodle bar Goro + Gun — lead by head chef Ryusuke Araki. Located in Stephen Avenue Place on the +15, the restaurant melds modern art graphics with the distinctive hardwood and right angles of Japanese decor.
Tuck into a steaming bowl of Hakata-style ramen or depart from noodle fare with some Japanese tapas or one of our numerous sushi rolls. Our noodles, sauces, and pastes are all made from scratch, and you can complete your meal with one of 30 sakes from Goro + Gun’s curated selection.
- Wage: $16.50+/hour depending on experience
- Duty meals.
- 25% Company-wide food & beverage discount & access to frequent local business discounts/specials.
- Extended health benefits after 90 days for all employees working 28+ hours per week.
- Potential for promotion to leadership for the right candidate.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Accurately execute food orders, ensuring consistent and high-caliber food preparation and presentation, while following the restaurant’s standards, as directed by the head chef.
- Maintain ongoing communication with all departments affecting the venue.
- Ensure the highest level of hygiene and food safety is adhered to by all personnel in the preparation and handling of food items.
- Ensure that the venue is always maintained at the highest level of cleanliness.
- Consistently conduct yourself in a professional and positive manner.
- Ensure all food products are stored in appropriate containers, labeled, and rotated, to minimize waste, maximize quality, and ensure freshness.
- Aid in meeting and exceeding department objectives.
- Motivate fellow staff and encourage high self-esteem and efficiency in the workplace.
- Strive to advance your knowledge and help raise standards within your department by bringing new concepts, ideas, and suggestions forth.
- Respond in a positive, budget-conscious, and timely manner to all internal and external guest requests and complaints, while meeting the restaurant’s standards to exceed the guest’s expectations.
- Accurately follow all reporting procedures for accidents and incidents in the workplace.
- Adhere to all policies and guidelines, checklists, prep sheets, and par sheets, as assigned.
- Expedite on floor or in the kitchen as business demands.
- Perform other related ad-hoc duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED
- 1 year experience working in a high volume restaurant preparing sushi is strongly preferred
- Passion or experience in Japanese cuisine is considered an asset.
- Strong organizational and time management skills required.
- Experience working more than one station at a time is preferred but not required.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong sharing skills.
- Ability to maintain composure, professionalism, and ensure coworkers are supported in difficult and stressful situations.
- Ability to fluently communicate in both written and verbal English.
- WHMIS Certification is required but can be obtained once hired.
- Food Safe Certification is required but can be obtained within 30 days of being hired.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and can lift items up to 50lbs.
- Must be over 18 as open scheduling availability is a requirement.
- Ability to work well in a strong teamwork driven environment.
- High level of integrity and takes accountability for words and actions.
- Strong desire to develop skills further.
- Aware of successes, failures and lessons learned.
- Embraces a collaborative and creative environment.
- High level of enthusiasm.
- Works with intensity, purpose, and passion.
- Professional demeanor, great personal hygiene, and high level of dress.
- Ability to innovate, create, and be self-critical to improve culinary skillset.
- Acknowledges and acts upon issues before they arise.
- Adaptive problem solver able to recover in the face of adversity.
- Searches for new food concepts out of pure interest, motivated by self-learning, keen interest in gastronomy.